Sunday, December 22, 2013

Facts and Faith

Facts and Faith

In my daily quest to be a better person, my mind sometimes dives deep into some subjects, one thought leading to another sometimes getting so off track that I can’t remember why I ended up where I am with my current thoughts.  Peggy says that I am an example of extreme ADHD, yeah, that sounds like a good excuse to me.  But, while driving across Arkansas this week, I kept wondering why people were or are surprised at the comments of Phil Robertson, the Duck Commander.  There is no shortage of his views and core beliefs on YouTube with video of him telling why he believes the way he does.  But, not to argue the points of his statements, I ended up thinking about my own beliefs and most importantly WHY I believe what I do. 

I am not a preacher, only a Christian, who believes that people should know what I stand for.  The Apostle Paul teaches this as to encourage us to not be ashamed.  A tenet of my beliefs is taught in the children’s song, to let my ‘light shine’, not ‘hiding it under a bushel’ of shame in public.

First, I must provide some background.  I was raised in Bigelow, AR, with one brother, and parents who were married until I was 20 and my brother 16.  My parents taught me about the importance of community service, helping others, bringing honor to my family through good behavior and actions, and teaching me the Bible, especially with emphasis on treating others as I would want to be treated.  We attended church as devoted members who planned events around church activities.  We felt that our church was the best way to support our community and keep our family strong. 

I asked the lord to forgive my sins and come into my heart at the age of 12.  From then on, I had a heavy conscience, which I believe was the Spirit of God, leading my actions when I would let it.  And I stress that last point, it’s a choice to listen and follow.  A lot of the time I haven’t.  But as one of my best friends, Chris Carden, pointed out to me, ‘we might be sinners, but, we can’t say we haven’t been told’.

I went on to graduate from Central Arkansas with a degree in Public Administration, with the hopes of working in public service (which didn’t work out, at least like I expected it).  All throughout my education, I was an avid questioner of fact.  I would love to debate any point about authority, justice, regulations, daily life, and history. 

There was never a day that I didn’t think about the Christian perspective during these debates in class.  It was so prevalent in my papers that I would get points knocked off on each of them for being argumentative and subjective and not so objective.  But I couldn’t help getting in my shots to make a point, no matter what it cost me.  In reality, I wasn’t doing it on purpose, it was in my fabric. 

From the time I could understand what I was hearing, I was listening to the guidance of people who loved me and loved Jesus too!  But, I was an able debater, even so able that I could take the antagonist view in debates with subjects that questioned the balance of justice, and in the most heated debates, social injustice, while studying the issues of the 60’s through the late 80’s, when I was in college, and win those.  I was taught to be objective, which is to say, totally understand why your opponent in the debate takes a certain stand.

In the case of Phil Robertson, he loves to come off as a red-neck white trash backwoods southern country good ole boy.  Thing is, this is probably a very accurate description of him.  But, add the education, and you have to discredit all the claims that he’s not smart enough to ‘avoid’ controversy with his selection of words. 

I personally believe that he knows what he’s doing, which brings me to my personal thoughts.  I couldn’t get the teaching of Paul, in his letter to the Galations, out of my head.  Galations 6:1 reads, ‘Brethren, even if anyone is caught in any trespass, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness; each one looking to yourself, so that you too will not be tempted’. 

Two key words caught my attention, even and gentleness.  Even is used as to say unfortunate and sad.  We should never want controversy, but if it is necessary, the second word, gentleness, should be the tone.  Cynics about the Duck Commander controversy seem to attack every aspect of his interview.  They are totally ignoring what the basis for his statement is, The Bible.

People, as Christians, freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution, does not excuse our unwillingness (Refer to Dr. Bill Brown about sins of omission, sermon in 1982 at Bigelow Baptist), to speak to our brothers and sisters in Christ.  Be gentle, get along with each other, don’t judge, but at the same time you have the responsibility to ‘call out’ your brother, when done with love and as Paul writes, with ‘a spirit of gentleness’.  What cynic can attack those values?  Non-believers that’s who!  Christ’s teachings and the further word spread and taught by Paul are not intended to make sense or appeal to non-believers. 

Non-believers live life based on fact.  That’s their peace.  Knowledge is key to their security.  Having it all figured out is their comfort.  I sometimes fell victim of that line of thinking.  But, for the believer, of which, one I am, there is faith.  Faith and grace is all I need.  My faith, and God’s grace! 

Paul goes to great length to explain that no amount of works can provide you with the happiness only known to those who know Christ as their Savior.  You can be of any faith and know the love of Christ, but life everlasting is only through him.  I know that there will be some who will un-friend me from Facebook because of this post.  That’s fine, just like Phil, and A&E, you have the right to do or say anything that you want.  But I stand firm on the teachings of my parents.  I choose to love everyone, be nice to ones I come into contact with, and help those who I can, and hopefully through me a little love of Christ can be seen.  If I ever become involved in such a situation that is similar to Phil Robertson’s, I hope to follow the admonishment of the Apostle Paul, and approach it with a spirit of gentleness and love, and never try to judge anyone.  I know some of you will see me as a hypocrite, that’s deserved.  Please forgive me, I am a sinner.

This Christmas season, please remember even the cynics acknowledge the fact that if not for Christ we would not be having Christmas, and that’s because of generations of faith that’s been tried, tested and found true for over 2000 years.

Love to All,
Merry Christmas,

Don

No comments:

Post a Comment