Wednesday, July 4, 2012

On this 4th, I thank my uncle, who will you thank, for your freedom?

The 4th of July, officially Independence Day, has always had a special meaning to me.  I'm sure that everyone can say that with some degree of sincerity, but to some, including me, I think of certain people.  For me it's somewhat a little more special for the reason that it's a celebration of our freedom, and I find it more incumbent upon me to actually reflect towards the cost of that freedom on this holiday than others that mark remembrance and reflection.

On other days to mark our patriotism, we are asked to pause and remember the ones who've fallen and also the ones that have fought with such sacrifice that we can't even comprehend what they've given up for this freedom that we take for granted on most days of the calender.  But, on the 4th of July, we are called to action to celebrate within traditions held for several generations throughout our history, and many responsible for our freedom are still here to thank for their service.

Today, I can think of several who have served with distinction, but the one closest to me that I want to celebrate is my uncle, Dickey Bennett.  He served in Vietnam on multiple tours which is notable, but, to me, he's my hero because of the dedication to God, Country, Family, and his Community with not just his words, but more importantly his actions.  He has been one of many in our county that has always displayed the flag of our country with honor. His unfailing attendance to community events, fundraisers, participation in the political process, and the countless donations he has made to the youth of our community has never gone unnoticed by me and many others.  

So on this day of celebration I choose to celebrate my Uncle Dickey Bennett.  Dickey, you've been watched, and what a wonderful patriotic example you've set for many.  I feel that due to your efforts and many others like you in our community, we will have a healthy respect for our country and the freedom it stands for in the coming generations.  Thank you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment