Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Don't let your shadow be your only friend

Listening to one of my favorite bands today, Green Day, there was a line the song 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams' about how the shadow is the only one that will walk down the street with him, and I got to thinking.  Some people like solitude, or so some tell.  How quaint an idea.  I think that it's just an excuse, personally speaking.  It's rare to find someone that truly likes to be alone for long periods.  I guess if you get burned enough by people in general then you might like the option of getting away from it all.  

But, solitude is seen as a punishment by most penal institutions.  Hmm, so, I guess those who prefer solitude would do better than the rest of the population if they were locked up and had no interaction.  Makes sense, doesn't it?  I'm sure that I hear my wife comment once a year, at least, that she 'could live alone, just fine'.  Yeah, right.  That's why we've been together for 10 years!  She likes to be alone, lol!!!  I'm not wanting to go down that path, except to say, that I don't think most people mean it when they say that they like to be alone.  

It's all a matter of degrees.  I do know some people who like to be in the public less than I do, and that's alright, and normal.  I think that I could be alone for all of about a day and then I'm hunting interaction from something.  Some would give anything to have a friend to visit with occasionally, and they can't, or they have been dealt a situation that is tragic.  I'm not referring to those in that situation.  I'm referring to those who thwart the opportunity to enjoy friendships, relationships, social activities, and family by being selfish to the point of being abrasive to others.

Here's my point.  When being alone is a choice, it's seen as an exercise in freedom.  When you don't have a choice, you hate it because of the loss of freedom!  Simple?  Not really.  Most of us, when we get old, we're gonna get grumpy(er), or at least that's what my experience has shown me.  Don't be the one person in the neighborhood that everyone else chooses to avoid and ignore.  Before you know it, your shadow just might be your only friend! And that surely wouldn't be a wise choice.  Keep your options open, think twice and be nice.  It will definitely increase your chances of keeping friends and relatives close when you will need them the most.  

1 comment:

  1. I love Green Day :) I am going to their concert in a few weeks and i am so excited i love all their records :)

    ReplyDelete